Maybe you have been visiting our church and would like to explore joining our church. We have developed a "Path to Membership" to help you learn more about Unitarian Universalism and to find out what becoming a member means. Whether you have been attending for a few weeks, a few months or longer, we would like you to consider becoming a member of the UU Church of Long Beach.
STEP 1: Attend a Membership Class
A membership class is offered in January 5th, April 5th, and July 13th, 2014. In this class you will
- share your personal religious journey
- learn about the history of Unitarian Universalism
- hear how generations of Unitarian Universalists have contributed to our religious community
- discover the church’s many programs & activities
- learn how you can share your talents & treasures
- enjoy lunch with other prospective members
- be invited to become a member, and take the next step…
Let someone at the Welcome Table after any church service know you are interested in taking this class. There is a simple form to fill out.
STEP 2: Attend Minister’s Orientation
Our minister will have a brief orientation with interested people. This is an opportunity to get to know her better and for you to share your stories and your questions. See schedule below. Childcare is provided. If you would like a personal conversation with our minister, please contact her by calling the Office or email her at:
STEP 3: Sign the Membership Book and be recognized at New Member’s Sunday Service
New Member Signings are held in December, March and June, for those who have attended both the orientation and the class, and choose to sign the membership book. The signing occurs during the first and/or second service:
- you will sign the membership book before the congregation
- at the Service, church members will covenant with you to support your spiritual journey and your deeper involvement in the life of our church
- after the Service, you can join everyone for cookies and coffee or tea where you will be welcomed by members and friends of this faith community
See below to learn when Step 1, 2 and 3 are being held.
Direct any questions about membership to Diane Julian, Membership Coordinator, by calling the church office during office hours or leaving her a message. She can also be reached at
. You may also speak to a member of the Membership Committee at the Welcome Table on Sunday mornings.
Membership in the Unitarian Universalist Church of Long Beach is open to those 16 years or older, who support the Church’s Purposes and Principles.
2013-2014—Schedule of Path to Membership:
Step 1: Attend a Membership Class. Childcare provided.
Sunday, January 5, 2014—After 2nd service. Lunch provided.
Saturday, April 5, 2014—8:30-1:00 pm including breakfast and lunch
Sunday, July 13, 2014—After 2nd service. Lunch provided.
Step 2: Meeting with the Minister 12:30-1:30 pm in Minister's office. Childcare provided.
Sunday, November 17, 2013
Sunday, February 2, 2014
Sunday, May 4, 2014
Step 3: Member signing offered at both services
Sunday, December 8, 2013
Sunday, March 16, 2014
Sunday, June 1, 2014