|100 Years of History|
Click Here for History of Social Justice in the UU Church of Long Beach
Click here for LA Times Article on UUCLB Conflict in 1985
Article describes welcoming of Billie and Sam Wright to heal the conflict caused by the resignation of Rex Styzens.
Church Celebrates its Centennial, 1913 to 2013
On the last Sunday in April of 1913, a handful of religious seekers gathered to hear the first Unitarian sermon in Long Beach. The following bond of union was adopted at that first meeting and, with one amendment, still provides a valid statement of the philosophy of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Long Beach.
The first meetings of the church were at 9th and Lime in Long Beach. In 1955, the present property at 5450 Atherton was deeded to the Unitarian Church by the Whaley family. Soon the present buildings were constructed, and have been in use for more than fifty years.
The Chalice Building, at the east end of the property, was added to provide additional classroom space some years ago. The sanctuary was remodeled in 1994. The Lounge, which is our primary adult meeting space, and the minister's office have also been remodeled.
Throughout its history, the church, in addition to its religious functions, has worked actively to resolve social concerns, provide a forum for expressing opinions on important issues and act as a center for the arts.
Read About the Early Years of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Long Beach
The First Ten Years - by Lyle Myers
Documents are being collected and will be put up as they are available. Check back to see what new data we have found.